Recently Nazarene Missions International (NMI) of the Mesoamerica Region has distributed the following prayer outline that any believer can use to seek the Lord’s face and intercede for their churches, communities, and the nations.
Proclaiming the glory of God in praise and worship. (10 minutes)
Lord, you who know our thoughts and our hearts, allow us through this time to adore you and glorify your name.
“Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song. For the LORD is the great God, the great King above all gods. In his hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to him. The sea is his, for he made it, and his hands formed the dry land. Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the LORD our Maker; for he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care.” (Psalm 95:1-7)
“Sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all the earth. Sing to the LORD, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples. For great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; he is to be feared above all gods. Ascribe to the LORD, O families of nations, ascribe to the LORD glory and strength. Ascribe to the LORD the glory due to his name; bring an offering and come into his courts. Worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness; tremble before him, all the earth. Say among the nations, “The LORD reigns.” The world is firmly established, it cannot be moved; he will judge the peoples with equity. Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea resound, and all that is in it; let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them. Then all the trees of the forest will sing for joy.” (Psalm 96:1-4; 7-12)
Proclaiming the glory of God in prayer for those around us. (10 minutes)
- Pray for your Pastor.
- Pray for fellow believers who are sick.
- Pray for fellow brothers and sisters who are unemployed.
- Pray for your leaders.
- Pray for unity in your churches.
Seeking the glory of God “BEING LIKE CHRIST.” (10 minutes)
Ask God to help you “be like Christ.” He wants you to follow in his footsteps, to “be holy as he is holy.” Pray to God asking him to reveal his plans and purposes and to follow in his footsteps.
- Seek the glory of God through his holiness. Ask the Lord to help you live according to his will and to be constant in prayer.
- Pray for there to be more disciples fully committed to God.
Seeking the glory of God through service. (10 minutes)
- Pray for your political authorities.
- Pray that there would be no corruption at all levels of government.
- Pray for the dispossessed, those with AIDS, for those still struggling with the COVID-19 pandemic and the aftermath of the virus.
- Pray that your children and youth would know of Christ’s love and be faithful to his Word.
- Pray for those who are in gangs.
- Pray for unity in families.
Seeking the glory of God through the salvation of the lost. (10 minutes)
Take this time to pray for unsaved families, friends, neighbors, or other individuals. Write their names in the following spaces. Don’t only pray for them once, but continually keep them in mind until you know that they have been saved.
Seeking the glory of God among the nations. (10 minutes)
- Pray for Christians who are being persecuted for their faith in Jesus Christ.
- Pray that the nations would see God is the only one who brings peace.
- Pray for the countries where it is not allowed to preach the Word of God.
- Pray that your message would reach every corner of the earth through the different means of communication and technology.
- Pray that God would bless every nation.
- Pray for his Spirit to be poured out on all flesh.
- Pray for churches and congregations in every nation to be faithful witnesses.
Suggestions for Cultivating a Culture of Prayer
“But I pray not only for these, but also for those who must believe in me because of their word.” (John 17:20)
- Make reminders or share prayer requests with friends and family via email.
- Organize concerts of prayer and praise with youth.
- Organize prayer breakfasts.
- Maintain a prayer room in your churches for those who wish to come and pray. Assign one person each day to attend to those who arrive.
- Organize specific services and times of thanksgiving for answered prayers.
- Form prayer chains for families.
- Form prayer chains for ministries.
- Organize all-night prayer vigils.
- Organize prayer chains between churches.
- If able, fast for 40 days.
- Make and distribute prayer commitment cards.
- Keep a record of the people who are dedicated to praying for the requests above.