In June and July, the first-ever Project Timothy was held, with volunteers from El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico and Nicaragua serving along with young people from the USA and Canada during Encuentro 2018.
The participants from the USA, Canada, and the Mesoamerica Region donated between 7 and 18 days to serve alongside local churches in activities of evangelism, translation, sports ministries, Vacation Bible Schools, “Disturbing our City”, Work and Witness, hospital visitation, and medical clinics that benefited several communities in Guatemala City.
One of the volunteer missionaries, Billi Mendez (Guatemala), expressed joy at the privilege of serving: “My experience in Project Timothy and Encuentro has been the best thing that has happened to me. The best part of the week that I served as a volunteer occurred on the last day of my missionary service. During the week I had been praying to God, asking that I would be able to win a person for Christ through Nazagol (a soccer outreach). In the middle of the game, God moved me to share my testimony with the participants, and I give glory to God because 29 youth accepted Jesus as their Savior.”
The two weeks of work culminated in a time of evaluation and thanksgiving for what God had done in the life of many children, youth and adults. That same day many young people confirmed their call and desire to continue to serve in God’s mission.
The leaders of Project Timothy and Encuentro shared the following results:
- NYI (Nazarene Youth International) and Global Mission worked together in harmony
- More than 1,472 children heard the message of Christ
- More than 695 people were treated at the medical clinics
- More than 104 people accepted Christ as their Savior
- More than 2,167 people heard about God’s love
- More than 7 countries came together to serve and impact Guatemala
- The 42 participants in Project Timothy came from Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala and Mexico, and all united in the Great Commission
- More than 16 youth confirmed their call to missions
- 21 churches on the Guatemala Central District were encouraged by the presence of the youth from Encuentro and Project Timothy
Praise the Lord for continuing to call and use the lives of young people who are willing to serve Him!